Faculty/Staff FAQ

When should I refer a student to CAPS?

Students can experience mild to severe distress. Please refer a student when they exhibit behaviors that indicate they may need additional psychological support. It is helpful to remind them that services through the CAPS Embedded Therapists are free, confidential, and do not impact their student record. If it is an emergency and Kayla is unavailable, please call (734-764-8312, After Hours Press 0) to consult with the Counselor-on-Duty, call Psychiatric Emergency Services (734-936-5900), or dial 911.

For information about After Hours care, please visit the After Hours FAQ page.

What are the most common reasons students visit CAPS?

  • Self-Esteem
  • Relationship Issues
  • Academic Concerns
  • Depression
  • Anxiety

What clinical services does CAPS provide?

Time-limited and solution-focused individual therapy services are available for currently enrolled U-M students within the College of Engineering. During the COVID-19 pandemic, CAPS in CoE services will take place via Zoom video/audio or phone.

  • Students should email Kayla Douglas at [email protected] 
  • Initial Consultation Meeting – Involves initial paperwork and telehealth consultation with the student to determine the best way to meet the student’s needs (45 minute appointment.)

Is CAPS available for consultation with faculty and staff?

Yes. The College’s CAPS counselor, Kayla Douglas is available for consultation with faculty and staff regarding students of concern. Faculty and staff can request a consultation appointment via email using [email protected]